Our Group



Welcome Paddlin' Chix! Our group of women, who enjoy kayaking, canoeing and rafting, come from diverse backgrounds and share not only experiences, but a unique bond as well. As we explore new rivers, ocean and lake places to take our watercraft, we want to provide a safe venue where women can come and connect with other women, building what we hope will be lasting friendships.

This is our spot to centralize and journal our doings. We can view planned trips, where to shop for equipment, training topics, what to bring on paddle trips, share pictures, stories and more! As we continue to build this place, I hope that it will become an excellent resource for us as we look forward to our many paddle trips together.

(The posts on this blog are written by Becky except where noted)

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Clues

As I paddled on Upper Klamath Lake last week, I saw several species of birds-pelicans, white egrets, gulls and 'ducks'- even a blue heron- resting on the exposed rocks near Putnam's Point.  The water has dropped maybe three feet, and the willow tree no longer brushes the water. The birds enjoy a safe place out in the open, untroubled by my distant passing.  I pull out my camera, and the low battery symbol is flashing on the screen.  I know I can push it a little and pull off a few exposures before the system collapses.  I was just starting my paddle up the shoreline.  I ran out of tape in my dispenser a couple of days later.  Something else, that I've already forgotten, finished, ran out...whatever it was- there were three things that said to me, 'finis'.  Need I say that the Fall equinox is this Friday? 

The feeling to hunker down for winter, is on the horizon, but it's not really necessary, yet.  The waters are calming, running low in the rivers, and paying attention to the changes will keep us going for a while.  Changing to warmer clothing, using spray skirts more, checking on river flows to see if rocks are going to be a problem- just a few things to enjoy the changing season.  My summer list of places to kayak, campouts  and hikes have been pleasantly accomplished.  The fall list is fairly small-paddle Spring Creek when the leaves are changing; take the run from Collier Wayside to Chiloquin; paddle Lake of the Woods... maybe Fourmile before it closes? and going with fellow paddlers!

I recharged my camera battery; I bought a new roll of tape; and while I'm still working on my version of a 'dry-top' for water resistant wear while paddling- I'm ready to think about this change of season.  What remains is to connect with paddlers wanting to do the same.  "Getting Connected" was a theme in church this last Sunday- and I am eager to kayak with others who enjoy it, too.   If you are interested in any of the paddles I've mentioned, please let me know and we can work out the times. 

Winter doesn't have come in a hurry and storing my kayak would be in line with missing the marvels of Autumn.  Let's connect and go kayaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment