Our Group



Welcome Paddlin' Chix! Our group of women, who enjoy kayaking, canoeing and rafting, come from diverse backgrounds and share not only experiences, but a unique bond as well. As we explore new rivers, ocean and lake places to take our watercraft, we want to provide a safe venue where women can come and connect with other women, building what we hope will be lasting friendships.

This is our spot to centralize and journal our doings. We can view planned trips, where to shop for equipment, training topics, what to bring on paddle trips, share pictures, stories and more! As we continue to build this place, I hope that it will become an excellent resource for us as we look forward to our many paddle trips together.

(The posts on this blog are written by Becky except where noted)

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Bumping Up

The Klamath River Irongate run stretches on for approximately 10.8 river miles to near  the R. Collier I-5 rest area.  It also has some stretches of class I and II rapids.  I learned a few things from this run, which fullfilled my mental check-off list:  #1.  Face fears.   It gets easier when I'm experiencing new or challenging things.  The experience becomes less huge with friends who have gone before.  #2. Use proper equipment.  While learning the way of the water on my 106 Dirigo kayak, I was also learning the importance of a well-fitted spray skirt.  The 7.0 that fits the 14-foot Dirigo, does not fit the 106 quite as well.  Once the water splashed over the deck and filled my lap with water, I was tasked with watching every splash over, leaving me to fiddle with with a distraction I didn't need or want.  #3. At the end of a run, even though you know where your key is...eyeball it again before you hop in the shuttle.... a whistle that is as black as the key will simply not start the car!

While thinking about this run and remembering the Rogue River last summer, it feels like the Rogue was more work.  I took it in a raft, which I thought at the time would  feel more controllable.  I am pleased to say, that the Klamath River was 'not so bad'.  It was taking on what I thought of as a bigger challenge.  After all, there were reports of others who had fallen in at some point.  I paddled the river, and 'bumped up' my experience.

Experience alone isn't the only way to 'bump up'.  Solid information fuels expectations and possibilities, even remote ones.  While waiting for the next paddle, I'm reading  related topics to paddling, learning about others experiences, what they've observed, and how they view their paddles.  In this week's  "In the Same Boat" by Tamia Nelson, on paddling.net  she discusses survival in the event of a capsize without  the day-bag stowed on board.  Worth thinking about.
Now, I just need more time on the water.

As a reminder- many of our paddle trips are listed under two links,  "Trip Reports" and "Put-in and Take-out Locations for Local Area"  on the right hand side of this blog.  You will find information such as time-of-year river flows, put-in, take-outs, notable features, and much more for your paddling enjoyment. Also, equipment can be found at the web sites, many of which we've used.  I think I'll go look up 'spray skirt'...

No comments:

Post a Comment