Our Group



Welcome Paddlin' Chix! Our group of women, who enjoy kayaking, canoeing and rafting, come from diverse backgrounds and share not only experiences, but a unique bond as well. As we explore new rivers, ocean and lake places to take our watercraft, we want to provide a safe venue where women can come and connect with other women, building what we hope will be lasting friendships.

This is our spot to centralize and journal our doings. We can view planned trips, where to shop for equipment, training topics, what to bring on paddle trips, share pictures, stories and more! As we continue to build this place, I hope that it will become an excellent resource for us as we look forward to our many paddle trips together.

(The posts on this blog are written by Becky except where noted)

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oh, Yes, I Can!

I set out with, and without the company of friends to walk, or paddle.  I have certain rules that I follow: listen to sounds, greet fellow passersby and look them in the eye; smile.  Take a walking stick. Be aware of my surroundings. For paddling: paddle as far from the bank as I would want to swim; wear my PFD; go on familiar waters, and stick to what I know...mostly.  For the colder days now, shift to clothing to keep warm, but not constricted-after all, I may want to take a picture!   I don't want to get wet, and a dry suit is a welcome thought for warmth and protection, especially in water that is cold all the time anyway.  But, for now, silk or NorthFace mid-weight long underwear, is keeping me warm under fleece pants tucked into  neoprene boots.  Wool socks, wool finger-tipless gloves with a mitten cap, and a light knit hat on my head keep the far-points warm, and  two layers add warmth under my PFD.  That is what I face the cold with, determined to keep moving, to beat the cold.
Where you might ask would I want to go in such armour?  How about Spring Creek, where I saw ice in the mud on the stream bank?
I was looking for Aspen, and there were few here.  However, there were still  leaves turning color...just around the next bend.  The headwaters, and the end of the creek proved especially colorful.  It was there for the finding.


Other places, hinted at the change of color, or what was left of the leaves- and the clear waters never fail to entice.
This then is the draw to resist winterizing and putting my kayak away for the season.  The view from the water....is fine.
I found the camping spot near the springs of the creek with a fire pit, and used the Sterno stove and fuel to make myself a nice warm cup of tomato soup.  Perfect.  Warmth inside to take me back.

Enjoy the views!


No comments:

Post a Comment